- This event has passed.
Brazil Superior Electoral Court Seminar on Fake News and Elections
May 16, 2019 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
In 2018, the Advisory Council on Internet and Elections, instituted by the Superior Electoral Court on December 7th, 2017, fostered many activities related to the influence of internet over Elections, especially concerning the risks brought by fake news and the use of robots for spreading this kind of information. Those activities enabled the widening of Electoral Justice’s knowledge about the topic, helping not only to prevent but also to tackle the great problem of fake news spreading during the 2018 General Elections.
Considering that balancing the phenomenon known as fake news is extremely complex in every branch of society, in Brazil and abroad, it´s the Electoral Justice´s duty to be alert to this major problem and to be focused on finding efficient ways for mitigating the effects of misinformation regarding the next elections.
The Seminar has as its prior goal to raise forms of preventing or minimizing the spread of Fake News during the Municipal Elections of 2020, taken the experience acquired during the 2018 Elections in 2018 into account.
Therefore, it aims to collect data, to share experiences, to receive suggestions, to enrich the global knowledge about viable measures to tackle fake news, as well as to consider its conclusions as a source of studies and proposals to be forwarded to Electoral Justice and to the National Congress.
May 16 – Thursday
6:30 PM Accreditation
7:00 PM Opening:
- Justice Rosa Weber, President of TSE
- Minister Claudia Gintersdorfer, Charges d’Affaires a.i. of the European Union to Brazil
- Minister Sergio Moro, Minister of Justice and Public Security
- Dra. Hilde Hardeman, Head of the European Commission’s Service for Foreign Policy Instruments (FPI)
- Dra. Raquel Dodge, Electoral Attorney-General of the Republic
- Dr. Felipe Santa Cruz, President of the National Council of the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB)
7:30 PM – Keynote Speech:
Ricardo Gutiérrez, General Secretary of the European Federation of Journalists (EFJ).