- This event has passed.
Europe stands with Malta
December 12, 2019 @ 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
Please join us in front of the Maltese PermRep, to stand in solidarity with the people of #Malta demanding the immediate resignation of the Maltese Prime Minister following his office being implicated in the assassination of investigative journalist #DaphneCaruanaGalizia.
The gathering is being co-organised with the Maltese community. All those who wish to stand in solidarity with our fellow EU citizens over the current constitutional crisis in Malta are warmly invited to join us. Malta is part of Europe; democracy and justice concern us all !
12:30 welcome (bring lunch, flags & placards!)
13:00 program with speakers and more…
* Andrew Caruana Galizia, son of Daphne
* David Casa, Member of EU Parliament (from Malta)
* Thomas Gibson, Committee to Protect Journalists
* Ricardo Gutiérrez, European Federation of Journalists
* Oliver Money-Kyrle, International Press Institute
* Alice Stollmeyer, Defending Democracy
14:00 wrap-up (estimated time)
We will speak out against injustice and impunity. The investigation into the assassination of #DaphneCaruanaGalizia must be free from political interference, as is normal in any free democracy. We will be calling for justice and the implementation of the recommendations of the Council of Europe, including judicial reform.
We will demand:
(1) the immediate resignation of the Prime Minister
(2) an independent investigation free from ANY interference
(3) that all those involved in the murder of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia be held accountable for their actions
(4) that Malta gets the clean, just government they demand and deserve.
Organisers: the Maltese Community, supported by Defending Democracy. We have police permission to hold this peaceful protest.
Terms & conditions of the event:
? The action is civic and nonpartisan, so please – leave at home political logos associated to any political party.
? Banners with messages relating to the subject of the event or expressing solidarity are warmly welcomed! Flags of Malta and the European Union are welcome too.
? We will give the floor to activists, politicians and Maltese citizens.
?We don’t use hate speech; however we may chant.