- This event has passed.
International Bar Association workshop of whistleblowers
November 15, 2016 @ 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
Among the confirmed speakers are: The European Ombudsman, Emily O’Reilly, will make the keynote speech, Paul Nemitz (Director Fundamental Rights, DG Justice European Commission), MEP Elly Schlein, MEP Julia Reda, Paul Stephenson (Member of the European Commission’s Expert Group on Corruption) and Anna Myers (Director Whistleblowing International Network).
The proposed output of the workshop is to:
· Learn about the initiatives that stakeholders are currently undertaking (principally in Europe) to improve whistleblower protection.
· Establish through case studies what comprises a successful whistleblower protection framework.
· Explore ways of resolving common issues of contention in whistleblower frameworks, such as definitions, disclosures concerning confidential information and how to guard against the misuse of such frameworks.
· Identify how the legal profession can best contribute to and potentially work with stakeholders to improve whistleblower protection.
The workshop will be divided in three sessions:
- First session: Whistleblower protection in Europe;
- Second session: Inter-jurisdictional case studies of whistleblower frameworks- instance of success and protection gaps;
- Third session: Best practice in a global context: resolving issues of contention in whistleblower frameworks.