- This event has passed.
PACE Conference on Media Freedom as a cornerstone for democratic elections
July 4, 2016 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Beginning in 2015, the Parliamentary Assembly has participated in the implementation at parliamentary level of the joint framework agreement between the Council of Europe and the European Union, the so called 2015-2017 EU-CoE Eastern Partnership Programmatic Co-operation Framework (PCF). This programme aims at providing assistance to the reinforcement of democratic reforms in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova, Ukraine and Belarus.
Under the priority ‘promoting democratic governance’, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) undertakes activities on ways and means to improve (regional) parliamentary co-operation in electoral matters by organising regional parliamentary seminars and conferences. This conference will be the second in this series: it strives to encourage peer-to-peer parliamentary dialogue and will focus on evaluating strategies for ensuring media freedom, media transparency and access of political parties and candidates to the media in the context of democratic elections.
- National parliamentary delegations from Eastern Partnership member states of the Council of Europe (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, Ukraine) and Belarus; members of the Parliamentary Assembly, in particular of the Committee on Culture, Science, Education and Media
- Representatives of media regulators
- Representatives of media outlets, media freedom NGOs and professional organisations (including the EFJ)
The documents of the conference will be available in English, French and Russian. Working languages will be English, French/German and Russian with simultaneous interpretation provided.
3. Background documents
- PACE Resolution 2065 (2015) on increasing transparency of media ownership
PACE Recommendation 1878 (2009) on the funding of public service broadcasting
Recommendation (2007) 15 of the Committee of Ministers on measures concerning media coverage of election campaigns
- Code of Good Practice in Electoral Matters
- Election observation reports on Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova, Ukraine and Belarus.
EFJ President Mogens BLICHER BJERREGARD will participate in the conference.