- This event has passed.
Side event to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
April 8, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Impunity in Malta: the Assassination of Journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia
Journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia was assassinated in Malta in October 2017. Nearly 18 months on, there has still been no justice for this heinous attack.
Although three murder suspects were arranged in December 2017, they have not yet been brought to trial, and there has been no tangible effort towards identifying the masterminds behind her assassination.
In light of the clear deficiencies in the criminal investigation, we call for a public inquiry to be immediately established.
- Andrew Caruana Galizia
- Tom Gibson (Committee to Protect Journalists)
- Caoilfhionn Gallagher QC (Doughty Street Chambers)
- Thomas Friang (Reporters Without Borders)
- Lord Foulkes of Cumnock (SOC – UK), PACE General Rapporteur on Media Freedom and Safety of Journalists
- Stefan Schennach (SOC Austria)
- ARTICLE 19
- Committee to Protect Journalists
- European Centre for Press and Media Freedom
- European Federation of Journalists
- International Press Institute
- PEN International
- Reporters Without Borders