Organising Turkey’s human rights based journalism fit for the digital age
Lead : International Federation of Journalists (IFJ)
Co-applicants : European Federation of Journalists (EFJ) and Türkiye Gazeteciler Sendikasi (TGS)
Location of the action : Turkey
Duration : 36 months
The main objective of the project is to promote and protect fundamental rights through enhancing the role of journalist in promoting democracy and good governance and the public’s right to access information.
1- To improve working conditions through raised public awareness of worker social and labour rights among journalists and media workers
2- To provide solidarity to post coup journalists persecuted for their work and now prosecuted or unemployed by media closures
3- To train journalists on human rights and professional journalism for the digital media to counter the post truth culture
The target groups are non-unionised journalists and media workers, prosecuted and sacked journalists under state of emergency, mid-career journalists needing to adapt to the new online work practices and digital start-up entrepreneurs.
- Work Package 1 : Social and labour rights campaign in 20 regions in Turkey
- Work Package 2 : Solidarity Fund for journalists in need including legal and humanitarian support for families of targeted journalists
- Work Package 3 Training of trainers for journalism academy trainers
- Work Package 4 : TGS Academy training programme for journalists with necessary skills for a digital media landscape
- Work Package 5 : Financial support for digital media start-ups through sub-granting programme