Free Julian Assange, member of our organisations
Our Italian FNSI affiliates were visited today in Rome by Julian Assange‘s wife, Stella Morris. The Italian journalists’ union, at the initiative of its Campania branch, presented Julian Assange with an FNSI membership card. The European Federation of Journalists (EFJ) passed on the initiative to its affiliates in Europe: 19 of them decided to follow the Italian example and grant Julian Assange membership (or honorary membership) of their organisations. The EFJ and its affiliates once again call on the UK authorities to release Julian Assange.
Here is the joint appeal delivered to Stella Morris in Rome this morning:
We, the undersigned European unions and associations of journalists, join the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) in calling on the US government to drop all charges against Julian Assange and allow him to return home to his wife and children.
We are gravely concerned about the impact of Assange’s continued detention on media freedom and the rights of all journalists globally. We urge European governments to actively work to secure Julian Assange’s release.
To show our solidarity, we declare Julian Assange a full member, an honorary member or a free member of our organisations.
- Maja Sever, EFJ President and TUCJ President, Croatia
- Fabrizio Cappella, SUGC-FNSI Secretary, Italy
- Satik Seyranyan, UJA President, Armenia
- Borka Rudić, BHJA General Secretary, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Snezhana Todorova, UBJ President, Bulgaria
- Hrvoje Zovko, HND President, Croatia
- Emmanuel Poupard, SNJ First General Secretary, France
- Emmanuel Vire, General secretary SNJ-CGT, France
- Tina Groll, dju in ver.di President, Germany
- Maria Antoniadou, JUADN President, Greece
- Laszlo M. Lengyel, HPU Executive President, Hungary
- Pavle Belovski, SSNM President, North Macedonia
- Luís Filipe Simões, SJ President, Portugal
- Darko Šper, GS Kum President, Serbia
- Dragana Čabarkapa, Sinos President, Serbia
- Zeljko Bodrozic, IJAS President, Serbia
- Petra Lesjak Tušek, DNS President, Slovenia
- Miguel Angel Noceda, FAPE President, Spain
- Urs Thalmann, impressum Director, Switzerland
- Tim Dawson, NUJ, United Kingdom
This is hugely significant: European journalists’ unions unite to declare Julian a member of their organisations.
— Stella Assange #FreeAssangeNOW (@Stella_Assange) April 27, 2023
La consegna a @Stella_Assange della lettera della @EFJEUROPE: 19 sindacati nazionali europei hanno deciso di dichiarare Julian #Assange come proprio iscritto.
La prima firma è di @SeverMaja, presidente @EFJEUROPE.
Per l'Italia, @fabricap @sgcampania @FnsiSocial pic.twitter.com/aqHpfHaWwj
— Vittorio di Trapani (@vditrapani) April 27, 2023