- This event has passed.
March 3 @ 9:00 am - 1:30 pm
The Media4Europe Summit on Wednesday 3rd March 202, is the launching event of the second edition of the Stars4Media exchange and training programme, co-funded by the European Commission. It follows the Media4Europe conference in October 2020, which gathered key MEPs and media stakeholders supporting a NEWS action in the context of the Media Action Plan. This virtual event will be articulated in two parts:
9:30 – 11:30 Stars4Media session (online)
9:30 Short presentation of the Stars4Media Second Edition and of the Media4Europe event and testimonials of award-winning initiatives
Panel 1: How startups and incubators can be involved in Stars4Media?: Lina Timm (Media Lab Bayern, Germany); Trees De Bruyne (Startup Coordinator, VRT). Moderated by Stephen Fozard of WAN-IFRA.
Panel 2: Tech and product development for trust: Denis Teyssou (MediaLab Agence France Presse, WeVerify / InVid); Sebastiaan Van Der Lans (WordProof and Trusted Web initiative); Agnes Stenbom (Responsible Data and AI Specialist, Schibsted); Andreas Marckmann Andreassen, Digital Editor and Head of News at the Danish magazine+news site Journalisten. Moderated by Stephen Fozard of WAN-IFRA.
11:00 Announcement of application process & deadlines, and tips & tricks on cross-border cooperation
12:00 – 13:30 Policy debate: “Towards a healthy European News Media sector?” (online)
Following a keynote speech given by Věra Jourová, the European Commission Vice President for Values and Transparency, the panellists of the policy debate will address two main issues:
Media sector’s needs
- Introduction & moderation: Christophe Leclercq, EURACTIV Media Network & Europe’s MediaLab
- Fernando de Yarza López-Madrazo, President of WAN-IFRA
- Mogens Bjerregård, President of the European Federation of Journalists
- José Manuel Sanz Mingote, Director, EFE news agency
Helping the media sector’s health: private & public support
- Lucia Recalde Langarica, Head of Unit Audiovisual Industry and Media Support Programmes, DG CONNECT, European Commission
- MEP Margarida Marques (S&D, MFF Rapporteur)
- Helga Trüpel, former MEP (Greens)
- Miguel Castro, Global Media Partnerships, Gates Foundation
The debate will also address the Media Action Plan, the digital and technological transformation of the media sector, and solutions to accompany news media’s capacity to innovate. There will be a short Q&A session with the participants.