- The event is public.
- No entrance fee.
- Please register below or send an E-MAIL to email@example.com.
- Location: Irish Writers Centre, No. 19 Parnell Square, Dublin 1
- This event has passed.
#newsocracy2: Media Ownership Concentration in Ireland and Europe
January 31, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue 31st January 2017, Dublin, Ireland, 10.00 -15.30
Ireland is falling far below European standards for press and media freedom. There is widespread concern at the implications for media diversity and plurality at the concentration of media ownership and a growing recognition that the ownership structure is a significant factor in undermining journalism and democracy.
This conference explores the implications for the work of journalists and places a focus on the difficulties they face where access to the media is restricted by concentration of ownership.
The European Centre for Press and Media Freedom (ECPMF) invites international stakeholders, politicians, unionists, academics and journalists, to talk about ownership structures and their implications on access to media, working conditions for journalists and the influence on news and public opinion.
Dr. Roderick Flynn from Dublin City University, author of the Media Pluralism Monitor Ireland, explains in a keynote the current status of media ownership and media pluralism in Ireland.
- Lynn Boylan, MEP for Dublin, Sinn Féin/GUENGL
- Dr. Elda Brogi, CPMF/EUI, Italy
- Seamus Dooley, General Secretary NUJ Ireland
- Anton McCabe, investigative journalist, Northern Ireland
- Dr. Catherine Murphy, TD, Social Democrats
- Gemma O’Doherty, investigative journalist, Ireland
- Renate Schroeder, Director European Federation of Journalists, Belgium
- Olaf Steenfadt, Project Coordinator Media Ownership Monitor (MOM), Reporters Without Borders, Germany
- Nora Wehofsits, Advocacy Officer, European Centre for Press and Media Freedom, Germany
Tuesday, 31st January 2017
10.00 Welcome by Jane Whyatt
10.05 Introduction to ECPMF by Nora Wehofsits
10.15 Keynote: Dr. Roderick Flynn presents the CPMF Media Pluralism Monitor Ireland
10:30 PANEL: Media ownership structures in Europe and Ireland
Speakers: Dr. Roderick Flynn (DCU), Lynn Boylan (MEP), Dr. Elda Brogi (CMPF), Olaf Steenfadt (RSF Germany)
Moderation: Jane Whyatt (ECPMF)
Topics: Effects of concentration of media ownership, legal opinion on Irish media ownership
11.20 Coffee break
12:00 PANEL: What does media ownership concentration mean for journalists?
Speakers: Seamus Dooley (NUJ), Renate Schroeder (EFJ), Catherine Murphy (TD)
Moderation: Jane Whyatt (ECPMF)
Topics: Politicians’ and unions’ efforts to protect media freedom, Europe-wide solidarity for journalists
12.45 Business Lunch
13:45 PANEL: Personal testimonies from investigative journalists
- Gemma O’Doherty on difficulties faced by investigative journalists in Ireland, introducing a short extract from the documentary ‘Mary Boyle – the untold story’
- Anton McCabe, on recent cases where media failed to expose wrongdoing on both sides of the Irish border
- Debate and Q&A–how to support Irish investigative journalists?
Moderated by Jane Whyatt
15:00 Closing remarks