The International and European Federations of Journalists joined today in Istanbul other media organisations in Istanbul for an international press conference in solidarity with Turkish journalists and media workers.One day before the hearing of Cumhuriyet journalists Can Dündar and Erdem Gül, the organisations gathered to back the campaign to set free imprisoned journalists that has been launched by the Journalists Association of Turkey (TGC), Journalists’ Union of Turkey (TGS), Progressive Journalists Association (CGD), DISK-Basin Is trade union, Haber Sen trade union and the National Press Institute.
The IFJ and the EFJ were represented by Barry White and Mehmet Koksal.
The campaign has launched a petition which include:
- Immediately release all 34 imprisoned journalists and end all prosecutions of journalists for their work;
- Guarantee the public’s right for information;
- Guarantee the freedom of journalists to report without restrictions, all across the country;
- Guarantee the safety of journalists and the protection of their sources;
- Guarantee free access to information and ending the practice of restricting access press conferences to pro-government media only;
- End the imposition of blanket media bans in response to tragic public events;
- End Censorship of the Internet and broadcasters;
- Ensure fair and transparent distribution of public advertisements in the media;
- Ensure impartial management of Türksat satellite that guarantees fair access for all broadcasters;
- Reform Article 199 of the Turkish Penal Code abused by Turkey’s President and public officials to launch defamation lawsuits against journalists;
- Guarantee freedom of association and punish all attempts to obstruct the activities of trade unions including the freedom of all workers to join a union of their choice;
- The establishment of a commission in the Turkish parliament to investigate the conditions of journalists and the rise of unemployment in the profession;
- Ensure full political respect for the Turkish Journalists’ Declaration of Rights and Responsibilities and its values.