Call for applications: Exchange opportunity for young journalists in Cyprus
The Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (RFOM) invites young Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot journalists, interested in experiencing and sharing stories of bi-communal life, to a week-long exchange project.
The exchange project takes place within the framework of the on-going Cyprus Dialogue, launched by the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media in March 2017, and in close co-operation with the Cyprus Journalists’ Union, Basin-Sen/Press Workers’ Union, and the Turkish Cypriot Journalists’ Union.
Journalists are encouraged to apply and selected participants will travel to the neighboring community and work at a host media outlet for 5 working days during the period from 1 November to 31 December 2017. They will prepare articles, audio or video reports, or take photos on a topic of their choice, which will be published by the home media outlet and presented at an OSCE RFOM exhibition in the buffer zone of Nicosia in early 2018.
The goal of the project is to provide young journalists the opportunity to work in a media outlet in a different context and community and report back on their experiences. The objective of this initiative is to increase understanding through new experiences and exposure to every day life in the neighboring community.
Costs related to travel, accommodation and living expenses during the exchange trip will be covered by the Office of the OSCE RFOM.
- A higher education degree in journalism, communication, political studies or other relevant fields, or enrollment in a higher education program in journalism, communication, political studies or other relevant fields.
- Relevant work experience in the field of journalism/media/communication including blogs and freelance writing. The candidates will be asked to submit three examples of recent work, not older than 12 months, with their application, along with their CV.
- Current employment or active engagement with a media outlet operating in Cyprus.
- Working knowledge of English, and/or working knowledge of the language of the neighboring community.
- Ability to work in a multilingual and multicultural environment.
Selected candidates should be younger than 35 years old at the time of their application.
Selected candidates will require a bank account in order to receive funding for travel.
Gender balance will be taken into account during the selection process. Application by qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds is strongly encouraged.
Application deadline is 15 September 2017. No applications after this date will be considered. Applications will be evaluated by the Cyprus Journalists’ Union, Basin-Sen/Press Workers’ Union, and the Turkish Cypriot Journalists’ Union.
Any additional questions and submission of applications may be directed to the following addresses:
- For Greek Cypriot applicants: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Turkish Cypriot applicants: email@example.com
Successful candidates are expected to take part in a meeting with the OSCE RFOM Harlem Désir on 9 October 2017, in the buffer zone of Nicosia, to discuss the goals of the project and ways to promote quality media through constructive dialogue.
Photo Credit : OSCE